If you need any additional information DO NOT REPLY to this message.

CONTACT: Don Parker at e-mail address coalcen1@verizon.net or call (516) 944-9799.

TIA,
Rita Kaikow
Oceanside HS Library

Censorship in Schools and Libraries" exhibit available for Banned Books Week –
September 26 – October 3, 2009

The Long Island Coalition Against Censorship is an association of 22 educational
and community organizations (16 are public libraries and professional library
organizations). The purpose of the Coalition is to defend challenges to the First
Amendment rights of school and public libraries when there are efforts by
individuals or groups to censor books and other materials

In planning an exhibit for Banned Books Week in the fall, you might wish to
consider displaying the new edition of our exhibit, “Censorship in Schools and
Libraries.”

The 2009 edition of the exhibit presents 32 illustrations of censorship each one
approximately 11" x 14" with accompanying text that is 11" x 14." The history of
censorship in public schools and libraries highlights incidents of censorship that
have occurred nationally during the last 150 years. Included are descriptions of
the censorship of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, In the Night Kitchen, The Catcher
in the Rye, and the novels of Judy Blume and Chris Crutcher. The censorship of
Susan Patron’s novel, The Higher Power of Lucky, which was awarded the Newbery
Prize, is in the new edition. U.S. Supreme Court decisions including the landmark
Island Trees book banning case are part of the exhibit.

 Quality copies have been reproduced which may be readily presented on posters or
bulletin boards in your library and then retained by you as a reference source. If
your space is limited, we suggest that you rotate the incidents of censorship
during the time the exhibit is on display. Excerpts from the exhibit are on our web
site www.the-licac.org. Click on Exhibits, "Censorship in Schools and Libraries"
(for a description of the exhibit) and then Selected Cases. You may order the
exhibit by e-mail or sending a purchase order to the LI Coalition Against
Censorship, PO Box 296, Port Washington, N.Y.11050. The cost of the exhibit
including mailing charges is $40.00. We request payment by check within 30 days
after you receive the exhibit. If you need any additional information our e-mail
address is coalcen1@verizon.net or call (516) 944-9799.

Donald Parker, Co-coordinator, LI Coalition Against Censorship

Note – The last day to place your order in time for Banned Books Week is Tuesday,
September 15th.