Our HS library, unlike the Elementary/Middle School library (of which I am also the
librarian), is very underused.  I've been brainstorming lately to try to reverse
this trend.  Today, a teacher with whom I have a good relationship came in to
return and borrow a book, so I suggested we get together to find ways to increase
the students' use of our valuable resources (including me).  Her answer?  Kids
don't read like they used to because of social and other activities, and they
simply go to the computer to do research.  She didn't wait long enough for me to
describe some of the frustration I've seen students experience by trying to find
information on Google, or to hear some of the reading requests I've received.  (In
addition, this morning, several girls came into the E/MS library to use a print
encyclopedia and, with a little help from yours truly, found what they needed
there.)

At faculty meetings, I'm reluctantly given a few minutes to speak.  When I do, it
seems like only a few are actually listening.

Any suggestions on how to draw students into the HS library?  Even my Jane Austen
birthday celebration, which was successful last year, fell flat.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

“Librarians. . . have been my lifelong friends, guides and heroes.”  Joseph Bruchac
Basya Karp, Librarian

Shulamith High School and Shulamith School For Girls

Brooklyn, New York

basyak10@hotmail.com

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/