Hello, dear colleagues,

First - thank  you to all who sent me suggestions, links and resources.  I
have looked at most and purchased The Lincolns- a scrapbook of Abraham and
Mary by Candace Fleming and made the cake on page 41  YUM.  I hope these
resources are of use to many of you.  Thank you again, LMNET!!!!

Lincoln!

Do you have The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary by Candace
Fleming? Based on a suggestion this morning from the listserv I dug out the
cake recipe on page 41. WE're having a Lincolns for the Library coin drive
the week of February 9th and I have promised a belated AL birthday party for
the class that collects the most. Now I know what kind of cake to serve!

I think I'll gather trivia from this book and others and maybe include it in
our school's daily announcements.

Honest Abe is 200 and students can find out all there is to know about the
16th president through these electronic and print resources. :)
ELECTRONIC:
Lincoln Bicentennial 1809-2009: Live the Legacy. The Library of Congress's
home site for the celebration of the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's
birth. In addition to providing a wealth of information about Lincoln, the
site encourages schools and communities to create projects in honor of the
bicentennial. Includes a detailed biography, a time line, a plethora of the
president's speeches, a virtual tour of historic sies, photos, podcasts of
modern day folks inspired by this larger -than-life figure, booklists, and
suggestions on ways to celebrate.
www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/. Library of Congress
American Experience: The Time of the Lincolns. A companion to a PBS film,
sets the stage for Lincoln's era. Included are primary sources, such as
excerpts from newspapers, abolitionist writings, wartime letters, and
photos; an interactive map of America on the Eve of War; and historian
videos.
www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/lincolns/.   PBS Online and WGBH
The Gettysburg Address. Students can turn to The Gettysburg Address to read
drafts of the document and see the only known photo of Lincoln on
consecrated ground. www.loc.gov/exhibits/gadd/.  Library of Congress.

http://www.hoadworks.com/Lincoln/lincoln.htm
Lincoln quiz (shockwave)
http://www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/the-bicentennial/new-penny-designs.aspx
A new look for the Lincoln penny (four designs which take FOREVER to load!),
will be released this year to commemorate the 200th anniversary!
PRINT:
The Gettysburg Address - illustrated by Michael McCurdy

Abe Lincoln - The Boy who Loved Books by Kay Winters

Honest Abe by Edith Kunhardt

A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln by David Adler

Abraham Lincoln by Amy L. Cohn

Mr. Lincoln's Boys, Being the MOSTLY True Adventures of Abraham Lincoln's
Trouble-Making Sons, Tad and Willie by Staton Rabin

Abe Lincoln Remembers by Ann Turner (told in 1st person)

Stand Tall, Abraham Lincoln by Judith St. George - (looks like a picture
book, but is divided into chapters. Brian Hunger highly recommends!) NEW

Abe's Honest Words, The Life of Abraham Lincoln by Doreen Rappaport

Abe Lincoln Cross a Creek, A Tall, Thin Tale by Deborah Hopkinson & John
Hendrix    NEW
Abe Lincoln Loved Animals by Ellen Jackson  NEW

Abraham Lincoln Comes Home by Robert Burleigh (traces Lincoln's funeral
train from Washington, D.C. to Springfield, IL; beautifully illustrated)
NEW
VIDEO CLIPS:
From United Streaming - Last item is Abraham Lincoln 3 min:46 sec
Suggest for Intermediate
Refers to his schooling, how he became a lawyer, elected President, Civil
War , how Lincoln tried to keep the country together, Gettysburg address,
freedom to slaves, emancipation proclamation, Fords Theatre, John Wilkes
Booth, Lincoln memorial,
http://player.discoveryeducation.com/index.cfm?guidAssetId=C732E60C-C0B4-45D
6-B6EE-207ACD777A8B&blnFromSearch=1&productcode=US
Lincoln craft:
http://www.craftsforkids.com/projects/abe_lincoln_bank.htm
 The Library of Congress website-loc.gov-american memory is a treasure trove
of Lincoln stuff. Also the presidential Library in Springfield,Il. will have
a lot of stuff,but you will need to GOOGLE that one- it has slipped my mind.
bbrown@ altonschools.org
There many sites which provide online trivia quizzes, and several are
available about Lincoln. Here are two for your consideration:
http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/world/us_presidents/abraham_lincoln.html
http://www.usefultrivia.com/political_trivia/abraham_lincoln_trivia_index.ht
ml

To be on the safe side, I would verify the facts in these quizzes before I
used any of the questions with the students.

Another option would be the use of resources available in your library to
create the trivia questions, whether they are online or hardcopy. This would
help the students to appreciate the importance of verifying their facts.
Here are a few of the bokks that I am using :

Abraham Lincoln Comes Home by Robert Burleigh, paintings by Wendell Minor.
Henry Holt, 2008
Lincoln's funeral train is described through the eyes of a young boy. The
Afterward and "Interesting Facts About the Lincoln Funeral Train" provide
pages where children could document their information

Lincoln and Douglass An American Friendship by Nikki Giovanni, illustrated
by Bryan Collier. Henry Holt, 2008.
Against the backdrop of the1865 inaugural ball, the author compares the
early lives, common goals, and subsequent friendship between Abraham Lincoln
and Frederick Douglass. Timeline is provided in the back.

Mr. Lincoln's Whiskers written and illustrated by Karen Winnick. Boyds
Mills Press, 1996.
The true story of Grace Bedell, who wrote a letter to Mr. Lincoln advising
him that he to let his whiskers grow. A photo of Grace's letter to
President appears on page 32.

Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving by Laurie Halse Anderson,
illustrated by Matt Faulkner. Simon and Schuster, 2002.
Chronicles the efforts of Sarah Hale, a writer and editor, to have the
fourth Thursday in November designated as a nation day of Thanksgiving, with
Abraham Lincoln making the final designation in1863

Stand Tall Abe Lincoln by Judith St. George, illustrated by Matt Faulkner.
Philomel, 2008.

My state's Educational Network site has put together a list of resources and
links related to the Bicentennial.  There's a link to a quiz site on that
list as well that has some obscure questions on there like: What was the
name of Lincoln's dog? and so forth.  Here's the link:
http://www.uen.org/general_learner/lincoln/

Here's a direct link to the quiz site:
http://www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/for-kids/honest-abe-quiz/default.aspx?ekm
ensel=c580fa7b_12_76_btnlink