I always caution people *not* to use Wikipedia as a major source, using the
substitution of a photograph of the Emperor from "Star Wars" for the new Pope that
occurred repeatedly over a week or so after he was elected to the position (until
wikipedia "froze" the entry for a period of time).  However, it *can* be a
half-decent starting point for research, even if a step below encyclopedias... and
I always stress that further research should be done to verify the information
found in a
more reliable source.

But I understand why people warn students (and adults) away from it in general.

What I don't understand is the lack of citing it as a resource used, and the few
entries in LM_NET in which the LMS has suggested that it is a good jumping off
point but that they tell students not to cite it after encouraging its use as that
jumping off point.  My understanding has always been that if you use a source, you
should give credit to that source.  Period.

While it may not (and shouldn't) be the only source, for middle school onward it
can be a useful tool, if for nothing other than recommended websites - the sort
that you can verify, such as museums and other "scholarly" organizations.  It seems
to me that denying its use when you *have* used it goes against all the rules of
citing/giving credit to your sources.

If you encourage it (or encyclopedias) as a jumping off point, how do you justify
telling students not to cite it in their bibliographies?

-Liz Herman
(not currently in a school, but still in Howard County, MD)
imcozit@verizon.net