Dear LM_NETters,

AASL has just launched our third year of the longitudinal study
"School Libraries Count!"  All K-12 schools, public and private, are
invited to participate on a voluntary basis.  Past participant's
continued involvement is crucial when examining trends over time, as
well as new participants so that an accurate reflection of the US
educational demographics are represented.

Additional questions were added to last year’s study that focused on
the use of social networking in the classroom. Findings showed that
the majority of public and private schools were incorporating social
networking tools into the classroom to aid in collaborative learning.
This year's study will include additional questions regarding English
Language Learners (ELLs) and resources made available to them through
school library media programs.

The number of participants between years one and two of the survey
almost doubled, in large part due to the collective efforts of AASL
volunteers getting the word out, and we hope to double participation
again in 2009. Because this is a longitudinal study, we especially
need to hear from people who have responded to the survey in the past!

Please spread the word now. Post to your website, listservs and
blogs!  The survey may be accessed directly at http://
www.aaslsurvey.org. The last day to complete the survey is March 12.

Thank you,
Marcia Mardis
Chair, AASL Research & Statistics Committee

---
Marcia A. Mardis, EdD
Assistant Professor
Associate Director, The PALM Center