I'm not sure about others' reasoning but here's what I tell my students:
Wikipedia is a great but unreliable source of information, we talk about
how Wikipedia can be changed by anyone and why that means that info
could be unreliable, but we also talk about how great it can be for
getting a feel for a topic, finding key words, getting an overview of an
unfamiliar topic.   However, because it is subject to change and
editing, I tell them once they use it to get an overview of the topic,
they should confirm whatever data/quotations they are going to use in
other sources.  For example, if I read WIKI on Shakespeare, I'll learn a
lot, get a big picture.  Then I'm ready to go on to Britannica, a print
biography, a database, a reliable website and gather my facts and
quotes.  If I get all facts and quotes from other sources, in a WORKS
CITED, I would NOT include Wikipedia because I did not, in fact, cite
them.  However, if I do quote or use info from Wikipedia, I would need
to cite it.  I encourage them to use it as an informal starting place
not a academic source which is why most of the time even if they start
there, they won't cite it.  Most teachers won't accept WIKI as a
citation  . . So that's another reason for using it to get general info
but finding actual quotations/facts for ones project elsewhere.  This
might different if one is required to do a BIBLIOGRAPHY versus a WORKS
CITED page----I'm most familiar with MLA Works Cited in which one only
cites sources directly used.

Team and Family,

Katrina Baecht | KIPP Austin Librarian

office:  512-501-3586 | fax:  501-3587
8509 FM 969, Bldg 676 | Austin, TX 78724
kbaecht@kippaustin.org

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."