Students are allowed to use their cell phones in the library ONLY during
extended hours.  During the regular day they are not allowed it, even if
it's an iphone with their music on it.  I do allow students to bring
headphones to plug into the computers to listen to anything streaming
and during lunch hours and extended hours they may listen to ipods.  I
don't have a problem when individual students come in to listen to their
mp3 players while on the computer or reading, but when a class comes in,
they play by the teacher's rules.  Playaways are checked out regularly.

If you set limitations without being gregorian about them, there is
mutual respect.  I do follow the rules, but also allow them "wiggle
room" to be themselves, namely during non-academic hours.
Hope this helps  :)

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
Justin, Texas
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

>>> Diane Briggs <goddessoflibraries@HOTMAIL.COM> 1/6/2009 11:35 AM

Hello Great Brain, Do you allow ipods, headphones, texting, and so on
in your library? What about Playaways? Do you let students check them
out? Are students allowed to use them in school? Where I work there is a
school wide rule prohibiting these things...It's hard to enforce
sometimes though. How do you deal with it?

Diane Briggs
SLMS
Troy High School
Troy, NY