The BEST tool I have found so far for teaching book care was to show
examples like I did yesterday.  My Pre-K students were alive with
finding all the marks, tears, books falling apart while reading the
books they had just selected to check out.

My examples are real; one a parent attempted to repair a torn page with
BLACK electrical tape; books that were colored on; books that the folio
is hanging by one last thread; of course those books that someone took a
pair of scissors to and written in.  These books were withdrawn from our
collection, though I thought they were perfect examples of how not to
take care of a book.  The kids ate it up!  I only had one little fellow
not treating his book like a new baby.

Good luck,
Colette

Colette D. Eason, Librarian
Marsalis ES
5640 S. Marsalis Ave.
Dallas, TX 75241
Box 317, TEA #183
Dallas ISD
ceason@dallasisd.org
972-749-3508
FAX 972-749-3501
http://library.dallasisd.org

You see, I don't believe libraries should be drab places where people
sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians. ~~Monty Python

http://www.bartleby.com/65/se/Seuss-Dr.html
"Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't
matter, and people who matter don't mind."
Theodor Seuss Geisel

>>> ladewig <shatz@VERIZON.NET> 1/26/2009 9:00 PM >>>
Hi Valerie (and LM_NETTERS),

Valerie posted: I was wondering if anyone can point me to where I can
find
worksheets, puzzles,
activities, etc. about book care for first-graders?  I am having
trouble
creating
one, and can't find one on-line.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

I have been working with elementary-aged students for over 20 years and
have
never ever thought of worksheets for teaching book care! Unless some
sort of
paperwork is required by your district or state confirming the kids
have
received this training, I would recommend you dump the idea of creating
this
sort of "busy work" and find other ways of communicating book care.
There
are some great ideas in the LM_NET archives - ideas like using a "book
baby"
to discuss book care, or dressing up like a "book doctor" etc. There
are
also posters and bookmarks available from library supply companies.
Make it
fun for the kids and they are more likely to remember. After all,
there's no
point to "knowing" it if you don't practice it! - that's the whole
point of
book care instruction, isn't it?

I think the most important thing is to communicate that BOOKS ARE
WONDERFUL
and meant to be enjoyed, but they are NOT TOYS (not for tossing,
putting on
our heads, dropping, etc.), and, a library is a collection of books
that we
"own" IN COMMON - that is, they belong to ALL of us! I remind our
students
that TAYPAYERS like their parents have paid for these books (it's so
interesting to see the expressions on their faces when I explain how
that
works!) so that we may enjoy them, and keep them nice for those who
come
after us - our little brothers and sisters, cousins, and all the other
kids
who will follow them - perhaps even some of our own children if we do a
good
job! (We have a school with some children whose parents did attend our
school!) I ask them which would they prefer to checkout and read - an
old,
junky book that's been mistreated, or one that looks clean and fresh
like
new? If we treat them well, they will stay nice!

In the fall, (and as necessary) I work with our kindergartners and
remind
first graders that at our school, we hold books with our LEFT hand and
turn
the pages with the RIGHT hand (this also ensures they are reading in
the
right direction!), from the top corner (using "pinchy" fingers) so that
OUR
BOOKS don't get worn or torn at the bottom (near the spine) and have to
be
taped. We don't "mash" pages turning them with our palms - we MASH
POTATOES
- LAUGHS! (at home in the kitchen! - sometimes I bring a big aluminum
bowl
filled with cotton balls and a potato masher to demonstrate - they
love
it!).  Do we color or write in OUR library books? NO! We color in
coloring
books or on scratch paper. We treat books just like babies - babies
are
PRECIOUS and so are books!

We keep OUR library books away from pets, younger children, scissors,
pencils, pens or markers, anything sticky or wet (I have samples of
hurt
books to show them what happens when a puppy gets a new book, or when
water bottle in a backpack leaks, etc.). With 2nd graders, I add: We
use a
bookmark to mark our place (not pencils, paperclips, not dog-earing
the
page). We do not leave OUR library books on the floor - someone might
slip
on them or tear the pages with their shoe (which did happen with one of
our
books - I had to repair several pages of pictures). Exception - in case
of
emergency, like a fire drill - then we place books on floor next to the
wall
and walk carefully. (After they check out, our little ones sit along
the
wall to wait for their classmates as we do not have seating near the
checkout area). The same policy for their classroom - no library books
on
the floor! (In your lap please!).

Of course, accidents do happen, but if we use our books carefully,
they're
much likelier to stay nice. I have trained the students to show me any
problems they find BEFORE they leave the library - we repair pages,
etc.
then if possible, or they choose a new book and the old one goes to
the
"Book Hospital" to get better. I have shared with teachers that if a
book
has been repaired or damage noted (might not be repairable), I indicate
that
(I have a stamp that says "Damage Noted" which I use with red ink)
either
inside the front cover flyleaf, or on the page itself, date it and
initial
it, so the child who has the book now is not held responsible for it.
remind the children that the computer "remembers" who had the book
before,
so if they find damage, I can check the records and talk to the prior
borrower about the damage. In our library we have magazines with
"hidden
pictures" etc. - we talk about not cutting or writing on "OUR"
magazines -
and my teachers came up with a great idea - use a transparency sheet
with
dry erase pens to find the hidden objects, then just clean off the
transparency. My teachers are happy to loan the kids these items for
the
classroom use. I suggest that at home they ask for pennies, or dried
beans
(etc.) to "mark" the pictures temporarily.

To keep books in good condition on the shelves, our 2nd - 6th graders
use
shelf markers and are taught to replace books CAREFULLY without
pushing
books back. Kinders and first graders make their selections from books
have placed on a table for them. This keeps the books from being shoved
in
and out of the shelves and really, the kids prefer to see the covers of
the
books anyway to make their selections. It also gives them some
parameters
and helps them to focus and make selections relatively quickly. I start
with
the A & B author picture books and gradually work through the entire
shelving area several times during the school year. This way all the
books
get seen by the children eventually and they are exposed to the covers
of
many books - seeing lots of different styles of art, colors, and
various
ethnic groups portrayed. Since very few of my kinders can read, they
really
don't get much from seeing just the spines on the shelves anyway. Since
have started this at my site, our books show much less (unnecessary)
wear
and tear. Also, any books that remain unselected on the table after a
week
or so are registered in my brain as books that might be weeding
candidates,
especially if we have duplicate copies and they are slow movers.

Because "rules" can tend towards the negative, I try to keep the
emphasis on
keeping "OUR books" nice. Many children in my school come from
lower-income
or recently-arrived (immigrant) families. While some of these families
have
great regard for books, many do not, or simply do not have many or any
books
in their homes for children - so they do not know how to care for or
about
books. Students need instruction and gentle reminders - not busy work!
hope you have found some helpful ideas - there are more in the LM_NET
archives.

Joanne Ladewig  (A.K.A. "Library Lady")

Library Media Tech

Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD

Garden Grove, California

shatz@verizon.net

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Comments are my own and may not represent the views of GGUSD