I have to comment on this book.  First, I've read it and have 3 copies in my high
school library.  The students who have read it have compared it to Hopkins'
Identical or Pelzer's A Child Called It.  Yes, it's graphic, but it's realistic.
Does anyone remember the recent, almost identical incident in Missouri with 2 boys?

I had a very difficult time reading this novel, just as I did with Identical.  I
haven't read A Child Called It, despite all the kids telling me it is the "very
best book."  I haven't wanted to read about abuse since I read Sybil in high
school.  Unfortunately, not everyone grew up in my Pollyanna life where I never met
anyone different from me until I went to college.  So, in that respect, it's all
the more important for me to understand that these horrible incidents occur, and
just like Frank's America, to recognize there are kids out there who suffer the
abuse we read about in novels.  Ask the kids, they will tell you there are kids in
your schools who are in worse situations than the protagonists in the novels.  This
was brought to my attention after I read (and suffered through, I might add!)
Saphire's Push.  Every girl who checks this out comes to have a discussion with me;
most of these girls know others who either are in similar situations or who have
suffered such abuse.  It horrifies me that some of our kids live in such dire
circumstances!

Also, Living Dead Girl ended the only realistic way it possibly could.

Lynda N. Short, LMS
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School
1600 Man O'War Blvd.
Lexington, KY 40513