I have heard of this before and I do believe it has caused some stir on
LMNET.  Honestly, I don't see how it could be any more complicated than
Dewey.  I imagine that once you come to a point of specificity ( where that
point is can vary with Dewey as well; do you stop at animals 590, mammals
599, large mammals 599.7, , bears 599.74, polar...etc) a book would be
shelved by author as I've seen in bookstores.

I remember being told by a professor in library school that catalogers were
very particular about their craft and I could imagine that many may not
agree with me.  But, I think Dewey was a very important system prior to the
digital/keyword catalogs...now I'm not so sure the number aspect of it is.

I know I feel a bit lost in a book store  with their system but is that
because it is an inferior one or is it because I'm not used it?  Are the
word based systems change for change's sake? Or, are they a better way of
doing things in today's world and I need to try an adjust?

I am contemplating a word based system for our new school library...any
other school librarians considering it?

--
Kristina Fallon, LMS
Robert Morris School, k-8