Good morning all:

Thanks for all the great advice that I received about
mini-laptops. I apologize for not answering each of you
personally but it really has not been a good month for
computers in my life. Between the personal one dieing and
the one at school acting weird, it hasn't been easy to do
any e-mail.

Anyway--I have decided for myself to just go with the
regular laptop simply because of the small memory issues
and also the fact that I would need to buy a seperate
attachment for any CD's and DVD"s which is a big thing
that I use mine for. Now I just need to decide which one I
really want.

Thanks again for your help. Below you will find a hit. I
hope that I got everyone's response in there. I had it all
saved on a word document at school, only to arrive this
morning to find that all of our documents have disappeared
over the weekend so I threw another one together quickly
and hope that I have passed on all the great advice I was
given.

Carol Van Brocklin
Librarian
Faith Academy-Mindanao
Davao City, Philippines
carolannvan@motimail.com

I just recently purchased the Dell mini-laptop and I
really love it for personal use esp. for travel (built in
wi-fi) but I would not reccomend it for school use - sep
for projecting as it has a lower resolution/smaller
screen. Also limited memory and hard drive space. You
could add an external hard drive. BUT I think not a good
purchase for professional use.

I bought a Eee machine a couple of months ago. It does not
show DVD's and uses an external memory. Mine has Windows
and Office on it. I love it. 2 pounds and $319 delivered.
It is fast. Comes with a small case.

Hi, I've just bought a HP mini this year and I really love
it. I spent around $800.00 but you can go up or down in
price and still get a lot of computer. I chose that one
because I had recieved a grant for technology and that was
the amount given for the computer. One of the draw backs
to the mini, is with mine there is no CD/DVD drive. I am
assuming that you can get one, or use an external (which
is what I plan to do). I can hook mine into a projector
with out any problems and even into the newer TV's. The
main issue that I've run into is that the screen after
about 10 minutes is hard to see since it is so small, so
if you're going to be looking a lot at the screen you may
what to re-think the mini. We use CDW-G.com to order most
of technology thru and get some really good deals. The
traditional laptops are running around the same price as
the mini. I went with the mini, because I'll be using mine
for virtural field trips, teaching catalogues and other
on-line activities where I'll be hooked into the TV or
projector and it is something the kids are less likely to
want to play with and I can store easier

I have an ACER and love it. It has a 1g RAM and 120g
Harddrive the graphics are good and XP is just great. I
have bought the full version of MS Home Office and it all
runs well. I also have the Smartboard software on it - all
is good.

If you want to watch a DVD through the computer you will
need an external DVD player. There are more than enough
'plugs' available for all your desires. The computer also
has a built in video eye and speakers that work well.

I don't know about the operating system, but I have looked
at some of the netbooks. The only concern I would have
about the "mini laptops" is the memory. If you are using
it to stream video, ie. youtube, are they capable of that.
I am not by any means a techi but these would be concerns
I have.

Out of job and not wanting to overspend, I did TONS of
research. Don't buy a mini! You, as an exemplary LMS need
far more than that! Go for a full-fledged laptop!

My husband just bought a Dell mini so that he can carry it
to ALA and NYLA conferences. His biggest dilemma is that
it does not have a CD or DVD drive - a real problem if you
use yours to show DVDs in class! He seldom uses disks, so
he isn't bothered by it so far, but I can see where I
would have a problem! Other than this, he loves his little
mini, and the price was certainly right for what he got

am writing you on my Acer Aspire One (model ZG5) that I
bought last fall for carrying daily in my bookbag. Paid
$350 at Office Depot and have no complaints so far. I am
pretty sure I used it at least once with a projector at
school--worked fine. I even run Google Earth on it, and
despite its small screen I'm happy with what it can do.

When this battery gives out I hope to buy the bigger one
so I can write even longer in the care while my wife
drives. I get about 90 minutes with this one, I think

I have one the Asus EEE PC 900. I use it for an extra
computer with wireless in my home. It is a good product.

However there is no DVD drive. If you want to use DVDs or
CDs, you must buy an extra drive (over $100 US). The
Windows XP is sufficient and better than the Linux
version.

The screen is small and your eyes will get tired after
awhile.

A better suggestion for something you might want to uses
at school is this Dell laptop. It comes with Vista, DVD
drive and a good battery. The cost is not much more than
the minis when you add in a DVD drive. Here is a low cost
Dell for $479 US
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1510?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Please post a hit on this topic, as I'm researching
mini-laptops
for myself and for my library. I tried one of these out at
conference recently, and a computer teacher who was with
me pointed
out that the basic models (the ones with the attractive
low prices)
often don't come equipped with enough memory to function
as well as a
full-sized laptop, so I'd need to pay more for a better
model. Also,
the screen size can be an issue if you customarily
increase font size
for better readability, which will limit what can be
viewed.

Message is being sent

Message is being saved

Attachments Done