This advice is probably more practical than sage, but...

1) Make sure the carts are big enough for the laptops. As inexpensive laptops have
gotten bigger, the original carts we bought were not large enough to allow them to
be plugged and and recharged with the doors shut. We moved the "back wall" where
the plug-ins are located about two inches further back and managed to get by.
Another answer would have been to remove the doors on the carts, but we were
worried that this would lead to more damage as the cart was moved through doorways
and past student desks in our already crowded classrooms.

That's the biggest problem we have had with damage on the laptops--the connection
between the charger and the laptop getting broken. This was more of a problem when
we had Macs and has been less of a problem with our HP/Compaqs.

2) We prefer to check out the entire cart (or two) to the teacher and have them
manage their use with students. Most do not keep any kind of track of which student
uses which computer. Teachers keep the carts in their room for the duration of the
project, which is ususally only one or two days. Of course some teachers bring them
back in great shape--all there, all shut down, all plugged in and ready to
re-charge. Some do not. It's a constant battle. We also have mice in a box on top
of the cart for those who prefer them. We lose some every year.

We reserved five laptops, not on the carts, for teachers to check out as needed.
But when, for one reason or another, this wasn't enough, teachers would too often
grab one from the cart, causing problems for the teachers who then came in
expecting to find enough for their class to use. In addition, the chargers
sometimes ended up separated from the laptops--lost--causing additional problems.

Our jury-rigged solution has been to 1) make sure all library staff understands
that we discourage letting computers from the carts go out to individuals and 2)
"tying" the chargers in place in the carts with plastic cable ties so that even if
the laptop goes out, the charger is more likely to stay in place and not get lost.
When REALLY needed, the charger can be slipped out of the cable ties, but mostly it
keeps them where they belong.

Hope this helps,

Joel
shoemaker.joel@iccsd.k12.ia.us