I would lean toward weeding if they aren't being used but consider that
they may become popular again if subsequent movies are produced. Some of
my copies were so ragged that it wasn't a hard decision to weed.

Keep the best, weed the rest. That is what I will do for Series of
Unfortunate Events, Dear
America. and others that are past wonders. My HP books self weeded when
I didn't replace every multiple copy as it wore out or was lost. I often
offer them to teachers for their room collections.

I suspect that you the Harry Potter books will enjoy another round of
popularity when the next movie(s) are released. You might want to hang
on to more than just one copy of each for a while longer.

If you have a space for classroom sets, consider creating "mini sets"
and placing these multiples there. So far, at every library I've worked
at, each time a new Harry Potter movie comes out, I get a rush on the
books. I've started doing mini-sets and my teachers who do reading
groups divided into multiple reading levels are able to pick and choose
a few at a time.  If a student wants a book and there are no copies on
the main shelves, I just grab one from the classroom set shelf.

My thought on multiples once no new movies are coming out (in cases
where there are movies) is to do just as you were saying--weed the ones
that are in the worst shape. If you are not locked into how you dispose
of weeds, offer ones that are in decent shape to classroom teachers.

Offer them to classroom libraries. If there are no takers, the students
will scoop them up.

Weed-keep only the best copy or two. The remainder can go to classrooms
or wherever else you donate books. That is the price of doing business.

I have a stamp that says, "Removed from Circulation". Which gives a
different connotation than "Discard" and I stamp weeded books with that.
I carefully remove the barcodes and spine labels and offer them to
teachers for their classroom libraries. They are usually thrilled
because they want numbers not substance.

Harry is still popular with my students, but I confess to having removed
a couple of copies from the shelves. I'm storing them in my workroom to
use when a copy goes missing or becomes too worn to be used any more.

One of my colleagues used to pull once popular titles and store them for
a year before discarding completely. If the item was requested, then it
went back into circulation; otherwise, it went to discards.

Do you have a back room where you can put an additional copy for a year
or two, just in case? That transition may help. We put our American
Girls books in our back room for a couple of years because they NEVER
circulated and now they are going like hotcakes.

I offer excess books to our local public library as well as neighboring
schools.

What we do is leave three copies on the shelf that patrons can access.
Then we keep the multiples on a back set of shelves that we have
available for teachers to use for literature circles. So far this has
worked out well for all concerned. Also if one of the "front three" gets
lost, we already have a replacement.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian