I don’t know what my kids would do if they didn’t have spine labels. Even my
1st graders learn to hunt for a book using the white labels on the side of
the books with either an F or Numbers and then three letters underneath.
After 2nd grade I don’t even help them find the right area of the library. I
have two very small libraries, one Pre-K –3rd , the 2nd 4th –7th grades. My
kids have even gotten to where if they want to know where a book is they
just ask “what letters am I looking for”. I’ve told them several times that
I am the librarian and am here to help them but I am not here to do their
work.

When I worked at a public library, which was in a university town, we had a
lady come in that was taking a children’s lit class and was believe it or
not a senior graduating, who informed me that she had made it all through
her public school experience and through four years of college without
having to learn to use the library after all that was the librarians job to
find her what she needed. Needless to say I looked at her like she was crazy
and then proceeded to explain to her in simple terms I use with the 1st
grade how to use the library. She never did come back to me for help. I use
her as an example to my kids on what librarians are going to think of them
when they are in college and are looking for resources.

Another quick story about one of my 5th graders who went to the local public
library to find a book. I had just finish explaining the Dewey system the
day before and had told the kids if they know the Dewey they can find the
books in any library that uses that system without any trouble. This kid
came back the next day excited because he had followed the rules and found a
book that he’d been wanting to read and I didn’t have. And WOW he was going
to keep finding all the books I wouldn’t order for him. I loved it. It
actually got the other kids interested in using the labels on the books.

Mary Taylor
Holdenville Schools
Holdenville, OK
mtaylor@holdenville.k12.ok.us