Skype

Original Post:

Have you interviewed an author using Skype?  Who did you interview?  Did your
students love doing this activity

  1.. We are doing a Skype interview with Michael Grant, author of Gone and Hunger,
at the end of the month. We are all very excited! This is my first time - I can
fill you in afterwards if you'd like.

  2.. I haven't done it yet but I would love to.  Another lms did it last spring
with her students and said it was amazing!

  3.. Harmony Middle School skyped with author Peter Eichstaedt who wrote First
Kill Your Family, about child soldiers in Uganda. This tied in directly with a
project we did.  I think she found an email for the author and simply emailed him!

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=ca6673572
  Here's a list of authors who will skype for free!

  4.. Good morning, Martha.  I am a reading teacher at Oliver Middle School in
Brockport, New York.  I used Skype with students last spring.  We interviewed
author Kate Messner about her historical fiction novel Spitfire.  The kids LOVED
it!  She was exceptional at talking with them and keeping them entertained.  Kate
has a list on her website, katemessner.com, listing authors who will Skype for
free.  I have found this to be a very worthwhile activity, and I am planning our
next Skype adventure! Kristin McAdoo

  5.. We are doing a Skype interview with Michael Grant, author of Gone and Hunger,
at the end of the month. We are all very excited! This is my first time - I can
fill you in afterwards if you'd like.

  6.. Yes. We Skyped with Roseann Parry, author of Heart of a Shepherd. She was
awesome. She talked to us from her treehouse. Very cool! We are Skyping with Fran
Cannon Slayton on Nov. 5. We have Kathryn Fitzmaurice and Rebecca Stead willing to
Skype but we have not scheduled them yet. How did you know....did I mention that
were going to do it on LM_Net?

  7.. We interviewed Kirby Larson.  She was wonderful.  I was new to Skype and she
was very patient with my "test run."  The kids loved it (we did a 20 minute "book
club" type chat, during their recess, with six girls who had read Hattie Big Sky.)
 As other kids noticed what was going on, about 10 more stepped into the room to
listen in.  We had one student at a time sit in the chair in front of the webcam
and ask Ms. Larson a question.  We used our Smartboard projector to project her
image onto a screen so more people could see her.  She was delightful, humorous,
professional and all-around fabulous.
  It was GREAT!  Highly recommended.  Best for small groups with a sincere interest
-- not so much a "whole classroom" type of activity.
  Go for it!

Martha Oldham, Librarian

Lawrence High School

Lawrence, Kansas 55046