Good morning,

I read an outstanding play recently by Marcie R. Rendon.
She's enrolled at the White Earth Anishinabe Nation. In the
play (titled"SongCatcher"), the American Indian characters
talk about Native song and story. Its more than just that...
It is a commentary about how their songs and stories were
recorded by people who worked for the Smithsonian in the
late 1800s and early 1900s. I wrote about it here:
http://tinyurl.com/Rendon-SongCatcher
Rendon's play is only one of ten in the book that I think
can be studied in high school classes. Another is Sierra
Adare's "Takeover of the Andrew Jackson Reading Room."
Both are in an anthology published by UCLA's American
Indian Studies Center.

The second item I want to point you to is a poem by
Janet Marie Rogers. She is Mohawk, and her poem
"As I Am" is the audio for a series of video portraits
of First Nations people. It is a stunning video.
http://tinyurl.com/Rogers-As-I-Am

Last, I read an article about two productions of
PETER PAN. Both are in Canada. Reading about them
and the attempts to address the stereotypical Indians
in Barrie's play is fascinating.
http://tinyurl.com/Peter-Pan-In-Canada

Apologies for cross postings,
Debbie

Visit my Internet resource:
American Indians in Children's Literature
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.net

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé O'-ween-ge')
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@illinois.edu