Dear Kendra,

An online image resizer and optimizer I use all the time is Image
Optimizer located at http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx .  The
"optimizer" part refers to being able to reduce the loading time of an
image used on a webpage.

Another tool I use from time to time is TransWeb
(http://stuff.mit.edu/tweb/map.html).  It allows one to make transparent
the colors surrounding an image you wanty to use in a webpage.

I am the webmaster of Infotopia.  As you plan to start school, please
consider introducing Infotopia (http://www.infotopia.info) to your
students during library orientation.  Infotopia is a student-friendly,
safe search engine that accesses only trusted websites previously selected
by librarians, teachers, and a library/educational consortia.  The
Infotopia Safe Search Engine is a good Google alternative for students.
Actually Infotopia is a Google CSE custom search engine, so you still get
to use most of Google's cool search features.  But you get very little
junk in the search results. Infotopia is programmed to always have Safe
Search on.

Sincerely,
Michael Bell
Former Chair, Texas Association of School Librarians
drmichaelbell@hotmail.com
Retired school and university librarian
webmaster at http://www.virtuallrc.com
webmaster at http://www.infotopia.info
webmaster at http://www.virtuallrc.com/magbot
webmaster at http://www.virtuallrc.com/alphamarks
webmaster at http://www.academicindex.net
> I am teaching a short (30-40 min) overview of some online teacher tools
> for
> our teachers this fall and was wondering if anyone could share their
> favorite new tools with me.  I plan to show things like Rubistar and other
> cool teacher's tools.  I am even considering things like a site that will
> edit and resize picture files (anyone know a great one?).  I have three
> rules for a tool/site to be considered.  It needs to be online, free, and
> timesaver for the teacher.  I don't really want subject/grade specific
> sites
> or student activity sites.  Please respond to me off list as I am not back
> to school yet.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Kendra Hartman
>
> Broadus Elementary Librarian
>
> Broadus, MT
>
> kendra@broadus.net

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
>  * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
>  * LM_NET Supporters:
> http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Dr. Michael Bell
Former Chair, Texas Association of School Librarians
drmichaelbell@virtuallrc.com
webmaster at http://magbot.virtuallrc.com
webmaster at http://alphamarks.virtuallrc.com