<Original Post Follows>

Friends-
Many responses to my original post. The summary is mostly "Do you have a signed
agreement form of some kind?" Our district's official policy is our "ethical use of
technology form" and it was, indeed, signed by parents and students. (Otherwise,
they get no password.) It seems many of you have similar, very useful policies.

I did NOT discover if we have any obligation to report illegal downloads, or what
the scenario would be should we discover one. I (personally) feel that in most
cases, educating parents/students about egregious downloading--and the potential
hazards of that downloading is part of our role. Repeated offenses, however, should
not be tolerated. (Two strikes and you're out.)

If you've got information to the contrary, I'd still love to hear it.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Harry

Harry F. Coffill
hcoffill@egrps.org
Teacher-Librarian
East Grand Rapids Middle School
Drama Department
East Grand Rapids High School

"From now on I hope always to educate myself as best I can. But lacking this, in
future I will relaxedly turn back to my secret mind to see what it has observed
when I thought I was sitting this one out. We never sit anything out. We are cups,
constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out."
-Ray Bradbury

>>> On 2/16/2010 at 12:46 PM, in message <4B7A93C2.4A5C.00E8.1@egrps.org>, Harry
>Coffill <HCoffill@EGRPS.ORG> wrote:
Friends-

I appreciate your help with this impending
pseudo-hypothetical scenario:

Student downloads large (illegally-obtained) piece of software on school network.
Burns to DVD (at school) and shares w/ friends. Gets punished by losing computer
privileges.

Parent (pseudo-hypothetically) complains that we're denying student significant
educational access by denying computer access. (We're pseudo-hypothetically not.
Still available via whitelisting on-line encyclopedia, school domain pages, eng.
class on-line writing, as well as on-line network file for work storage.)

Need some significant statements for an admin executive report covering:

District responsibility for student downloads? (Legal? DMCA?)
District responsibility to "turn students in?"
School responsibility to provide access? (I'm of the belief that there isn't one.
We need to provide educational opportunities, not on-line ones.)

Anyone have a case of a school district getting busted for illegal file downloads I
can use for ammo? (This would be really helpful.)

This is all specifically written into our student policy, I'm just looking for
extra ammo backing up our policy. (And--I'm intellectually intrigued today. I'd
possible that nothing may come of my pseudo-hypothetical venture.)

I'll collect into a "hit" if I get good responses.

* EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm ( http://lm/ )-net.info/join.html