Sorry it took me so long to post this HIT.  Below is my original question then all
the responses I received.

Thanks again to all those who contributed their recommendations and opinions.  I
can use a lot of the suggested titles. I recommend looking up each book - then read
the reviews and the recommended age range.  Some seem more appropriate for MS and
HS but
some will still work for elementary.

Original question:

I have a request from a teacher for a list of adult books that also have a
children's version.  She just got through reading the Young Reader's Edition of
Three cups of tea and asked if there were any more adult/children books out there
for a
parent/child book club.  We have a copy of Marley: A Dog like no other here but
can't think of any titles.

The Mortenson book's suggested age level is YA.  I would prefer titles in the 9-12
age range like the Grogan book. Our children's library here goes up to 4th grade.

What about the series "Great Illustrated Classics"? They are abridged versions that
the child can read and understand, while the adult reads the unabridged version.

There is the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye. *I looked this up and it's called
Left Behind: The Kids - this comes in three Collections

I'd recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma, either in the adult or the Young Reader's
version.  I'm in a middle school (7-8th grades), but I think it'd be OK for the
older end of 9-12...

Here a few I can think of off-hand:

Chew on This by Erich Schlosser & Charles Wilson (similar to Fast Food Nation by
the same authors)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat Young Readers Edition by
Michael Pollan

We are the Weather Makers: The History of Climate Change by Tim Flannery (adapted
by Sally Walker)

Mortenson's Listen to the Wind is a third version, a "picture book" version most
appropriate for the age you are targeting.

Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron and Bret
Witter (adult) and Dewey:There's a Cat in the Library by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter,
and Steve James

Eats Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss
(adult) and Eats Shoots and Leaves:Why Commas Really Do Make a Difference by Lynne
Truss and Bonnie Timmons

Dewey : there's a cat in the library and Dewey : the small town cat who touched the
world by Vicki Myron. Have fun!

There is one from Al Gore's book on the energy crisis - can't think of the name of
either one right now! But the adult one came out about 3 years ago and the kid's
version about 18 months later. *I looked this up the title is: Our Choice -  How we
can
solve the climate crisis (Young Reader's Edition)

I prefer the kids titles to the adults as there is no or very little language
issues, my little sensitive ears can't handle the potty mouths. No I don't read
everything out loud, but you know the saying, garbage in, garbage out? I live by
that! Some kid
thought I cursed earlier during class, everyone else just looked cross-eyed at him
and said she doesn't cuss! I say sugar, sweet and won't hurt you one bit! I need to
change it to chocolate, my favorite thing!

Michelle Marino
Children's Librarian
Hutchison School
1740 Ridgeway Road