From: "Darlene Yasick" <lib027yas@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
To: "LM NET" <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 1:28:13 PM
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] nytimes article: A Popular Princ ipal, Wounded by Gov
ernment’s Good Intenti ons

This article makes me so angry. Where has common sense gone to? It seems like
everyday we see another example of this type of thinking - suspend a student for
bringing a butter knife to school to cut brownies, suspend a kindergartener for
hugging a student, fire a principal because we don't track student's progress only
measure by a test they can't pass at that point in their educational journey.
Locally we had a school whose student body is composed of severly disabled student
land in the bottom 5%- worst school for the same reason. Some of the students in
this school can't talk or take care of their basic needs but they "SHOULD' pass the
test. Or as one principal said "These student are considered learning diabled 179
days out of 180 but on this one test day we expect them to function on the same
level as our most gifted students" We are intelligent, educated people , surely we
can do better

Darlene Yasick
Retired
Wyoming, MI