I can't help Shaunterria with her query but I would like some more
information about this concept.  Does it mean that every child who enters
the school should/ is expected to aim for university entrance?

As a parent/grandparent I would never let my child attend such a school with
such an expectation for a whole lot of reasons, mainly because the pressure
of being expected to succeed academically (as though that is the only
measure of success)  is too big a burden for young shoulders.  Bad luck if
you are the child who is not straight A and no matter what you do, never
will be.  (I have two of those, but my goodness, I am so proud of the people
and parents they have become.)

I did a search for the concept and chose a hit which started " My name is
Damen Lopez and I am the founder of the No Excuses University Network of
Schools."  Nothing I read on that page made me think that this was a good
idea.  There was no indication of Mr Lopez's credentials or the soundness of
the policies, pedagogy, programs and processes that underpin the philosophy.
In fact, apart from plugging into college symbolism (which is obviously more
important in your country than mine) I couldn't find the underlying
philosophy.  He says what he wants to do (but doesn't even edit his typos)
but not how or why.  Indeed,  it all seemed to be one big promotion for
Pepsi and a competition for funds!

Maybe I am missing something vital - perhaps someone could tell me what it
is.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian