I am in agreement with David.  I have been involved in librarianship
for thirty years.  Twenty years ago, the first Apple IIe came to the
floor of the public library where I was working, the sound of the
printer echoed like machine gun fire breaking the silence, and there
was absolutely no professional training.  Hmmm, what have we here?  I
was looking at the vehicle for synthesizing new information, and I
embraced the new technology once I had a better sense and
understanding of the potential for organizing and accessing future
information.  I read everything I could get my hands on because I
thought it was a new exciting adventure for the future of
librarianship.  What I didn't forsee was the demise of librarianship
as a profession for so many.   We all should have been the leaders but
too many did not embrace technology...and thus a new profession sprung
from our lack of advocacy...educational technology...and what exactly
is that...non-trained librarianship with a lot of 2.0 tools to manage
and teach...and more importantly the "idea" of  new...out with the
old.  Professional librarians coming into the field will bring a
revitalized strength and pro-active vision for our schools.  When I go
to workshops/conferences, I hear, feel and see bitterness in regard to
the status of librarianship, but until we make ourselves
indispensable, we will continue to follow the tradition of always
being the first to be cut...if indeed we will be asked back this
time.  The 21st century has just begun, and I believe we can turn this
around and prove our credibility and passion by designing 21st century
curriculum, lesson plans, collaborate with every person and parent in
the school, embrace new teaching tools...rather than sitting back and
wondering what the heck just happened and why.  I think we know why.

He [She] who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero

Maurine Toth
Head Librarian
Montclair Kimberley Academy
6 Lloyd Road