Original question:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Sharon Lawler <smclawler@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have discontinued AR, could you please share your "before and after"
> observations with me? Please send to me personally. Thank you.
> --

Thanks to all who provided insight into there experience with this program.
I received over 20 comments or requests for a post, and here they are. Most
comments talked about abuses of various kinds, cost and funding, and test
scores. Not too many gave advice on program replacement,  identification of
the grade levels involved was not consistent, or the amount of time someone
needed to maintain the database, run reports, etc.

> Our school has pretty much stopped using it.  We used it for at least 5
> years and it got the kids in here reading, but our teachers have chosen to
> just go with free reading (other than assigned reading).  The kids have
> specific requirements and the teachers must approve their choices but they
> can choose from any books I have ordered.  This is good because there are
> more current titles and I do not need to keep purchasing the tests.  I have
> not seen a decrease in circulation- in fact it may have risen a bit since
> the kids can choose something that truly interests them.

We were heavy into AR for five years. We saw dramatic increase in student
independent reading over those years. Grade levels/teachers that used best
practices saw at least one year’s growth in reading ability, based on STAR.
We have “de-emphasized” AR more and more (over a period of 4-5 years), to
the point where virtually there is no time for SSR/AR in the building
schedule. If is not important in the school schedule, it’s not important –
independent
reading.
                                   Independent reading has decreased at
least four fold. Kids check out a book and now take months to read it.
Circulation is in the tank. I could provide statistics, but have not keep
them up to date in the last year or so. We don’t bother with STAR anymore,
except for special requests. We do the state tests, Measure of Academic
Progress (3 times a year), at some point you just have to say ENOUGH.Our
teachers really noticed the drop in independent reading, appreciated my
statistics, but in the end nothing changed except a continued general trend
to ‘race to the toilet.’

 Anchorage School District was direction by central administration to
discontinue AR activity.  Only 8 schools were doing this prior to the
announcement.  We have 90 school libraries.

 I would love to hear what people say.  My budget was cut 60% for next year
and I'm contemplating cutting AR.  It's huge in my school and I really
dislike the program.  It was in place before I started.  Good luck.

 Could you post a hit or share with me what you hear?  Our superintendent is
pushing us to  justify our use of AR and although I'm fine philosophically
with not having it and just pushing voluntary reading, in practice I'm a
little scared.

 Our district rolled out a VERY scripted reading program in the 2008-09
school year and the kids had to read ONLY certain texts in reading classes.
Because they were reading two novels per nine weeks, this left teachers no
time to bring them to the library. I heard things like, "These books are
BORING" and "We can't read what we want." etc. This was the death knell for
AR, and I was personally glad.
That program has now died, too, and kids can check out what THEY WANT to
read. What a concept! They are delighted and excited to read what they want.
We have a great selection of YA novels, graphic novels, high interest
non-fiction, magazines, etc. Our circulation is up, and I have to add, our
reading scores this year put us in the highest position we've ever been in
statewide and citywide. So there, AR, good-bye and good riddance.

We had many more kids reading when we had AR.  However, our kids came from
elementary with lower reading levels.  Now, 90% are reading at grade level.
 I think they're a little pickier about what they read (teachers require
certain genres).

 I liked AR, but we had a few parents who complained that different teachers
gave easier grades based on how much AR played a part of their reading
curriculum.  They wanted everything to be a level playing field  (they
didn't care that one teacher expected more because she gave 30 minutes of
each class period to just reading, while others expected all AR reading to
be done at home).

The one part that was frustrating was the amount of money that was available
from our PTSA when we had AR compared to now -- I get the profits from the
book fairs and that's it -- with AR, they pumped in $$ for books (about a
book a student per year) and paid for most of the tests.

 I am contacting you off list because of some serious issues with AR.  We
unofficially ended the program.  I came from an elementary school where it
was used and I mean "used".  Teachers crammed it down kids throats, they
didn't use the MS media center at all.  Some claim that they didn't want to
come to the library because of their former AR experiences.  I used the
program at the other school for 14 years and did not get to fully use the
program as it dictates.
That being said, this year our reading scores have plummeted...I don't know
if stopping AR was the cause or if bringing it back will be the cure, but I
can't wait to read the responses you receive.

We have discontinued using AR at our high school this year. I have only had
one student and one teacher even ask about it.

Sharon M. Lawler, MA, MSLS
Randolph Elementary
Bldg. 146 Harmon Drive
Universal City, TX 78148