From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Marilyn Kulkarni
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:39 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Libraries Obsolete

I don't think you are correct that technology is not a library function.  When
library science was begun, Melville Dewey used the technology of the day,
alphabetized cards, to make a user friendly interface to search the collection.
When I was in graduate school in 1974 we created a searchable database using IBM
paper cards.  When I took classes again in the early 80s we used APL to create a
database of abstracts of journal article that could be searched by the computer.
We are on the cutting edge as a profession but some people fall off the edge before
they are able to get a good grasp of the technology.  We are the future if we
choose to be so.

Marilyn Kulkarni

Librarian

Brandywine High School

Wilmington, DE

mask1@comcast.net

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential
information for the use of the named addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in
error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it
or its contents is prohibited.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu