Richie's Picks: BALANCING ACT by Ellen Stoll  Walsh, Beach Lane/Simon &
Schuster, September 2010, 32p., ISBN:  978-1-4424-0757-2

"I know you won't believe me
But I'm certain that I did see
A mouse playing daffodil."
-- The Moody Blues, "Nice to be Here"

"The mice made a teeter-totter.
It was fun to balance...
one mouse on each end.
Ta-da!"

I cannot recall where and with whom I first sat upon  a teeter-totter (or,
as we called them, a see saw).   But I imagine it to have been a pleasant
experience for, as far  back as I can remember, I always loved finding a
friend with  whom I balanced.  When one sits upon a teeter-totter with such a
friend, it is possible to go up and down, up and down, up and  down with just
the slightest push of sneakered toes against the  ground.

"But then a salamander wanted a turn.  Hmmm.
Luckily, a friend stepped in to help.
Perfect.  Balance again."

Wait until you see what happens when the giant bird  comes zooming down and
everyone else piles up on the  opposite side in order to once again achieve
balance.

"Whoops!  That's not going to  work!"

Ellen Stoll Walsh's beloved cut paper mice and frog  characters have been
painting and counting for decades.   BALANCING ACT is one more reason to love
them, for this is both a very fun story  and a great educational resource.

Being engaged in balancing the two sides of a teeter-totter is  a gross
motor play activity that helps ready children for  understanding the
foundations of a vast number of physical force and  mathematical concepts they will
be
encountering over the course of  their educations.

Back in my childcare center days, we also  provided a balance scale with
which the children could experiment by  filling its pair of little plastic
buckets with whatever objects  they chose to borrow from the various play
centers.   Remember learning Density = Mass/Volume?  They didn't know it  yet,
but that is what my preschool students were beginning  to learn when I'd watch
them place a stone in one bucket and then try  to load the other bucket
with sufficient wooden puzzle pieces to achieve  balance.)

In the years that are to come, today's preschool  students will progress
from balancing teeter-totters and toy  scales to building an understanding of
gravity and density and  solving algebraic equations for which they must
determine the  quantity necessary to balance that which is on the opposite side
of an equals  sign.

But it all starts here.  Seemingly simple but  deceivingly rich with great
math and science concepts, BALANCING ACT will  teach as it entertains.
(Just be sure to watch out for  kids trying to pile atop one another on the see
saw after you  read this one to them!)

Ta-da!

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.comb
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu