Sorry for the mishmosh of the first message. I keep forgetting what Firefox does to
my LM_NET postings.

This summer I had an opportunity to visit the Biblioteca Alexandrina in Alexandria,
Egypt. This is an ultra modern, high tech library and cultural center build to
honor the original Ancient Library of Alexandria. The library contains books but
also many digital records, including the only copy and external backup of the
Internet Archive.

The Ancient Library of Alexandria was founded at the beginning of the Third century
BC. Its original collection was composed of scrolls and papyrus codices. No one is
exactly sure when it was destroyed.

Two completely different structures with vastly different holdings but they are
both considered libraries.

I have no idea what the library that my 7 month old grandson will use as an adult
will look like or what he resources he'll find there. However I am hoping that that
structure will continue to be called a library.

Josephine Dervan, MLS -Adjunct Instructor
School of Communication and  Information
Rutgers University
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero