A few weeks ago someone put out the idea of making book spine poems during Poetry
Month.  Poetry isn't my thing, but I feel an obligation to do something with it, so
I thought I'd try the spine idea.  It really worked out well. I tried it with third
grade, but it could have been done with many grades. I pulled lots of books that I
could visualize maybe being part of a poem, and spread them out on the tables.  I
then told them what we were going to do, and gave them the example I'd come up
with.  I had these books--Monster Trucks; Very Scary; Oops!; Oh, Rats!; It Wasn't
My Fault.  Not great, but not too bad, either.  I then turned the kids loose.  The
first group I didn't put any limits on number of books they could use.  That was a
mistake.  Some of the kids used every book on the table, and just put them in a
pile.  The next two groups I limited them to between 4-7 books.  That worked a lot
better.  Of course, with no "poetry" lesson from me to prepare them for doing this,
some were just piles of books.  But, there were several in each class that caught
on to what I wanted, and had things that made sense.  Not a lot of what I would
actually call poetry (mine wasn't either), but good use of the books. So, if you
were wondering about trying it, I say go ahead.  I'm going to do it again next
year.  Thanks to whoever had the idea.  There is a website with pictures that I
printed of other examples.

currently reading

 Pandora gets Jealous by "Diane" the mob lawyer on General Hospital and she plays
on Cougar Town.

Some Day me Talk Pretty

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu