Hi fellow netters,
You've helped me before and now I am a real dilemma and am calling on
your past experiences for advice.
Our district jumped into technology several years ago with a grant given by
Apple to our former Industrial Arts teachers,now turned Tech teachers.
Our district has four libraries.  The only library that is automated for
mangement and information technology is my place of operation, the middle
school. I jumped into technology with assistance of monies from the PTA and
book fair profits.  Now as I begin purchasing cd's, I find Tech has already
purchased and is using the cd's that I assumed would be library materials.

For example; our tech lab has the encyclopedia, both Groliers and
Encarta, Time almanac, Mayo health clinic, and many others.  My problem with
all this is basically what are the guidelines for tech and library.
Obviously, I feel the librarians job is to teach information skills and how
to utilize the found information.  Kids have to be taught brainstorming,
keyword, skimming, etc. in order to use information.  In tech. they
freely use all the materials with no guidance except for a given "research"
topic?

Has anyone had a similar problem..I see the possiblility of elimenating
the library media people and turning the whole information access position
over to Tech.   HELP
 Joan Brown ny00141@mail.nyser.net

LM_NET Archive Home