As I frantically cut and paste comments from the job description/
job title discussion for colleagues, I've beeb dying to comment on
the job title issue, Then Donna P. Miller hit the nail on the head
Monday when she said:

  "Counterpoint -- doctors'jobs have also changed radically with
the advent of technology.  However, they haven't chosen to
change their titles to "Healing Technologists" for example."

Bravo! I don't hear our colleagues on PUBYAC carrying on
about changing their title, even though public and academic
libraries are making use of new technologies as well.

Furthermore, I don't hear our colleagues in the classroom
talking about changing their job title, even though teaching
has undergone dramatic changes.....also, in part, due to the
impact of technology.

The Library is one of the crowning achievements of Western
Civilization (with equivalents in most other civilizations, too...
all you PC-ers). Let's not abandon the title just because it's
root word means "book" in a now extinct ancient language
unknown to the majority of our customers.

That quibble aside, keep up the tremendous discussion!

--
Peter Butts      |X|                  |X|
East Middle School   |X|          |X|      "One Man Gathers

LM_NET Archive Home