I agree with you, Peter, that we should be pleased with the title
"Librarian" because a. people (the general public) understand at least
where we work if we are called librarians.  b.  I doubt if any other
title could ever please all of us, anyway, or would continue to be as
descriptive as that already well-proved title.

Public librarians haven't seemed to feel the need to change their titles
-- in fact, seem to accept their titles proudly -- in spite of the fact
that technology has also entered their libraries.  Let's call ourselves
"School librarians" -- that way, people will know where we practive our
profession.

Why do so many of us feel the need for everyone to realize how hard we
work, what all we do, etc.?  Let's just do our jobs and those who care
will give us the recognition that we deserve.  No matter what we call
ourselves, most of the people in the world will never know what we do,
and fancy titles often put us in a position of being resented or being
ridiculed.

LM_NET Archive Home