On Fri, 27 May 1994, Margaret J. McCormick wrote:

> I am seeking contemporary works to use as parallel texts in a high
> school, when teaching Shakespeare's Othello.  Have you any titles with
> similar themes to suggest?

I can't help you here, Margaret, but I have another interesting
development.  A couple of teachers are advocating dropping Shakespeare's
_Tragedy of Julius Caesar_ and _Romeo and Juliet_ from our Soph and
Freshman curricula, respectively.  Having taught _Julius Caesar_ with all
of its political, social, and historical associations, I am
horrified at the thought.  I believe both can be taught with enough
enthusism and planning that the majority of students will appreciate them
and even enjoy them!

Have any of your curricula planners actually dropped Shakespeare as a
requirement in English classes?  If so, what have been the results?

Betty
                            bhamilt@tenet.edu
Betty Hamilton, LRS             .----.
Brownfield High School LMC      |    |                Home:
701 Cub Drive, North        ____|*    ~~~~~~.         911 East Oak St.
Brownfield, Texas  79316    \               |         Brownfield, TX 79316
(806) 637-4523               \_/\        . /          (806) 637-4213
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home