On Tue, 31 May 1994, PAUL VENANCIO wrote:

> Have been reading some interesting things about the Surpass library
> (circulation/opac) program produced by Educational Solutions. If you are a
> user of this program in  your district, would you kindly share your
> impressions with me. I have 3 elementary schools to automate and am in the
> process of weighing options. I know about the "giants" out there in the
> wonderful world of school-library automation--but I don't want to miss out
> on one of the newer/emerging products. Thanks for your help. Paul
> Venancio, Director of Media Services, Middletown RI Public Schools
> (paulvo@ids.net)

Hello,
This is our second year with Surpass/2 from Educational Solutions.  When
I chose Surpass/2 I had planned to get Follett the next school year.  I
had already barcoded all my books with Follett labels and had done some
retrospective conversion with Alliance Plus.  At that point I saw a
demonstration of Surpass/2 and immediately knew that was what I wanted.
I have been thankful ever since for that decision.

Follett completely takes over your computer system (or at least it did
then).  With Follett I could never have networked my CD-ROM programs with
the card catalog as I was able to do with Surpass/2.

I was having a hard time determining which hardware I would need to run
the Follett system.  Educational Solutions came to my school and told me
exactly what I would need to purchase and what hardware I had on hand
could be used.

With Follett you get an 800 number and a long wait.  With Educational
Solutions you get on site setup, free staff training, a custom designed
program that meets your individual needs, retrospective conversion,
hardware and software all from one source.  Educational Solutions has
also come to my school each time I have upgraded my system.  They have
helped me add remote access service for home users.  Something I couldn't
have with Follett or any other company I've ever heard of.

The Surpass/2 program is so easy to use you leave the manual collection
dust on a shelf somewhere.  No other program lets you display a map of
your library showing the location of each book, or lets you publish
school and library news.  For example, our students appreciate having a
list of SAT/ACT test dates and deadlines listed for them right at the
workstation.

I truly feel that Educational Solutions offers the best personal service
and automation program available.  Feel free to contact me if you have
any questions.

Suzette Turner
Rockport-Fulton High School Library
P.O. Box 907