While cleaning out some shelves, which hadn't been done in many years, I
discovered a book which had been withdrawn from circulation because of a
parent's request. It was a biography of a Holocaust survivor and included
pictures of bodies in a mass grave and some bodies stacked. The parent
(according to the superintendent's letter) felt it would be too upsetting
for children at the elementary level to view. When I presented this to
our prinicpal (who also is new) she agreed with me that the book may
belong back on the shelf (the book was withdrawn in 1989.) Does anyone
have experience with replacing a book after it has been challenged?
Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Cheryl W. Stevens
Mansfield, CT

LM_NET Archive Home