I was a junior in high school that year. On that day I was
seated in my 11th grade English class when our principal, with
a choked voice, broke into class on the p.a.  He announced what
has happened. I can remember the teacher crying, classmates
crying. I also remember that the principal asked for a moment
of quiet. You could have heard a pin drop in that building. A
hayride was scheduled that night for our 4-H club and we
decided to go ahead with it. I can also remember coming home
from church on Sunday, being met by my mother who whisked me
into the house in time to see Jack Rudy shot on TV. Similiar
scenes are now a part of the nightly news but back then, it was
a real shock. We spent those days glued to the TV, watching,
absorbing, and feeling every moment.
--
Betty A. Hutsler
Library Media Coordinator