Dear Netters,

Libraries have no money...right?  We also are turning to Networks and
notably NETWARE (novell).  So it is that I ask...what are other libraries
doing about trouble shooting the network?

When we had a Novell lite system, I could waltz up to it at any point and
diagnose the troubles from unpluged printers to dead batteries and lost
cmos. everything was fair game.  overnite, tho, it seems I have been
divorced from my PC and my expertise!  I no longer know where to look
first when something happens.  Not only that, I can't even install and
try out a new CD rom without calling for tech support.  I don't know how
to switch from the menu (established for security) out in the public to
the local hard drive.  I don't know how to get onto the menu so as to
access the cd's from my station!  When our cataloging program balks and
won't write to disk, I no longer know if its a local problem or a network
problem.  I'm told there is training available from Novell for 5,000
dollars.  Heck, that's nearly my entire library budget!

Do you have Netware?  Do you rely on tech support (out side consultant)
or a local all around technician?  Do you have any feel for your system
at all and if so, HOW did you get it?  Are there any books you would
recommend?  Lists?  Forums?  I didn't plan for this...I wanted a network
that I could relate to.  I think we are in over our heads and very
expensively.

Feeling rather down about the whole situation,

Roselle

American School for the Deaf
West Hartford, CT
r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu