Thought twice about responding to the whole net, but decided it was a
valid reference question that others might be interested in. If anyone
knows the etymology of the "poop" in "poop deck", I would be interested
in knowing. Strictly speaking, the poop deck of a ship is the raised
portion of the afterdeck of a ship. It refers to the open, exposed deck
itself. The stairway from there to the cabin below is called the
companionway. The word poop has been used with varying meanings.
Shakespeare referred to the poop deck on Cleopatra's ship. Kenneth
Grahame used the word "poop" as a nonsense sound in "Wind in the
Willows". And of course it has picked up some slang connotations in years
past. But, in the nautical sense, I have not been able to trace any
meaning etymologically. If someone knows the answer to this, please share.

Wade Weiler
wadew@tenet.edu