On Sat, 1 Oct 1994, Theresa Snow Toy wrote:

> If an adult had asked for the fantasy titles, we would have responted
> if we had an interest, and deleted if we didn't.  Why can't we do the
> same for a kid?

I think the reason Mike's posting of the "tip of the day" didn't stop the
discussion of this issue is that it isn't cut and dried, as Theresa
points out.  This is especially true for those of us in schools where the
students don't yet have access to the Internet.  I, too, have passed on
the fantasy title request to some of my students.  Those who can will
reply from their own computers, but I will reply through my account for
those who don't have access at home.  I agree with Theresa that this can
be as important a way to generate enthusiasm and support for the Internet
as the frequent requests for "Hello" messages for parent nights, etc.

>From what I have seen, LM_NET is not only for professional discussion,
but also for sharing resources and information.  The same day I shared
the fantasy request with my students, I also sent information about
Native American cowboys that had been requested by a librarian for a
principal.  Is the principal's request also inappropriate?

I hope a hit about the fantasy books will be posted in spite of all the
furor.  As a librarian I would be very interested in a list of fantasy
series that these students liked.  I have a few students who have read
the ones with which I am familiar, and I'm looking for new ideas.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox,syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School
Chandler, Arizona

A National Blue Ribbon School