I'd like to see a general discussion on what works for various people as
far as where and on what to put OPAC stations.  Our district in finally,
maybe going to pay for the machines and software system and
even-more-maybe going to fund retrospective conversion next year; but
they are adamant that they will not spend one dime for furniture or
shelving or anything like that.  I thought I'd put two workstations on
top of the card catalog to start with.  But eventually I will request
money on capital outlay and from our parent organization or even earn it
bit by bit from the Book Fairs.  So I'd like to hear from several people
about what works, especially in elementary school.  Do they need to sit
down or does standing up work better.  How many printers do we need.  The
consultant says one will do, to be shared by all workstations including
circulation and cataloging, but that seems awkward to me.  No doubt once
we are up and running we will be able to document the need for more
equipment and various accessories, but our chances of getting anyone to
listen to us once the main project is done, are slim.

Paula Neale
mohmie@coop.crn.gen.mo.us

On Sat, 29 Oct 1994, Kelly Cocklin wrote:

> Dear LM_Netters,
> My elementary school library is trying to get on-line with Follett's Circ
> and catalog.  I need workstation furniture for the student hardware.  Have
> any of you ordered from catalogs?  If so, which ones with what success.
>
> My administration feels it would be cheaper to buy them rather than build
> them but they look of questionable quality to me.  Please let me know ASAP
> if you have experience with this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> kcocklin@freenet.columbus.oh.us

LM_NET Archive Home