I have two student workstations on a long library table against one wall.
I've put 4 chairs at the table and the kids sit and stand around the
stations.  It seems to work well.  I used the same set up at another school
before this one.  Now, however, I have added a third workstation that the
kids often use for searching.  It stands alone in a separate area.  And,
when things really get busy, I let the kids and adults use our 2 standalone
multimedia stations as search stations.  Those sit on even a different kind
of table.  All the search stations can attach to any file server so they
are used for whatever the greatest need is for them at that time.  But, any
table really does work.
        When I was visiting some schools in Naperville, Ill. I saw some
wonderful work stations that had been built just for the student hardware.
I copied the specs and will try to locate them.  Our district just wasn't
willing to buy them when we opened the school I'm at now.
        We have a dedicated file server for the Follett program that sits
in my office.  Plus, I have a model 30 Eduquest that I usually use for all
the management stuff --- overdues, notices, bibliographies, etc. The only
printer is kept there and it seems to work out fine.  Since the program is
basically a mini-network, you can print from any workstation to the
printer.
        I hope this helps a little.
        Suzy Hawley
        Hawleys@firn.mail.edu