Priscilla, we type in the student's four digit barcodes in a middle
school of six hundred students. I print out a patron list with their
barcodes printed to the right of their names and leave the list in a ring
binder just beside the checkout station. It works fine.

I use their four digit student numbers as their library barcode number.
That way I can have the district's VAX database of student records create
a file with their updated information regarding classes and the rest of
it. I upload this file to the computer and avoid having to hand enter all
of this stuff, saving much time.

We have had a couple of times when the wrong barcode was entered and thus
material was checked out to the wrong student. It is a good habit to
watch the screen and see that the correct name pops up when you enter the
student barcode.

Gary Childers GCHILD@ORCA.ESD114.WEDNET.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home