I learned the hard way to discard all weeded books.

When I first came to my library (k-6) a middle school had closed and books
had been shelved without cataloging.  When I did a first major weeding I let
teachers take the discards.  One 6th grade teacher took hundreds of books and
put them in her classroom and then felt her children did not need to come
down to the library!  Ragged picture books ended up in classroom libraries as
poor examples of what library books look like!  Never Again!

Five years later, in preparation for moving to a new library, I weeded 3000
books, boxed them all, sealed them shut, and carried them to the dumpster.
 (Custodians too, think that many of those books could be put to better use!)
 I will never weed any other way.

Susan Ryhanen

LM_NET Archive Home