Dear Netters,
     I am opening up a new high school media center in September.  Our
school is opening up with 400 freshmen and we will be adding a new grade
level each year.  By the 4th year of operation we will have an enrollment
of 1,600 gr. 9-12 students.  I have gathered information regarding the
reading interests and habits of these 400 entering freshmen students and
they appear to be very reluctant readers and reluctant library users.  I
want to change their preconceived ideas about media center utilization and
want to lure them into reading more.  Do you have any ideas for fun and
upbeat reading programs or themes for reluctant readers that have been
successful in your libraries?  Also, are there any authors that have been
especially popular with your reluctant reader population?  I already have
several lists for books for this population but would like to know what
you have found to be especially popular. This will be my first year as a
high school librarian.  I have worked at the elementary level for the
past 20 years so I will really utilize all the suggestions you send me.TIA!

     Aloha,

     Susan Shishido  susans@kalama.doe.Hawaii.Edu
     King Kekaulike High Library
     Pukalani, Maui, Hi.