>After following the recent discussion about the quality & timeliness of
>Baker & Taylor records, I would like to ask if anyone is using Follett for
>their book jobber, and how Follett seems to be performing, especially
>regarding quality of records, timeliness in sending records & fulfilling
>orders, and types of discounts available.  I have been using B&T for the
>past several years with few problems.  However I will be sending in my
>annual major book order very shortly, and am concerned about receiving my
>books & especially the diskettes on time.  Last year the diskettes beat the
>books to school, and  I only had about 5% or less that I needed to do
>cataloging on.  Several years ago I had some problems with Follett (growing
>pains on their part I think) with not shipping my order in a timely way.
>Hence my switch to B&T (plus the Wisconsin state contract with B&T for good
>discounts).
>Anne C Oelke <acoelke@PEOPLES.NET>

Anne,

        I've used B & T (using B&T Link) to order books and found them to be
satisfactory.  The MARC data disks were received generally at the same time
as the books, and the MARC data were somewhat plain or too brief for my taste.
        This year I made Follett Library Resources my main book jobber since
their MARC data are excellent.  Not only do I receive summaries on most
titles in the data, I get book review listings and many more subject
listings than B&T's.  Yes, I pay more for Follett, but I get great MARC data
AND fine books with "shelf appeal."  (Read:  Attractive book jackets from
the publisher that get students' attention.)  B&T can't consistently give me
both of these qualities.  Also, B&T's books are mainly plain vanilla
library/trade book coverings.  The only fine quality about B&T is their
great discounts (up to 41% off list of most of their books versus Follett's
20% off of list of most of their books).  Now when will Follett give schools
better discounts?  (Are you reading Follett?)
        Both book jobbers deliver in about two weeks (and later for the
dreaded back orders).  BTW, a Follett representative told me that high
schools get books delivered in two weeks' time as a policy.
        Hope this helps, and I hope this may continue a discussion with
others on LM_NET and Follett-talk.

                        David Levin, Media Center Director
                             Rich Central High School
                          Olympia Fields, Illinois 60461

              "Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves,
       or we know where we can find information upon it."    ~~Samuel Johnson

LM_NET Archive Home