This IS an interesting discussion. I am in two K-5 libraries in a suburb
which has an excellent public library.  I had never really thought that much
about parental check-outs before.  My system just sort of evolved.  I do
not advertise that parents can take books out of the library.  If a
parent comes in and asks if he/she can also take a book out, I reply
affirmative.  They write their name on the card and I put it in the
Parents file.  No date is stamped and they can return the bookds at
will.  I DO tell my parent volunteers that they can take out library
books since it seems to me fair that they get a perk for their efforts,
something beside the school coffee.  I find that parents are quite
responsible.  Of course there's alsoways one or two...but that's another
subject.  Will I get jumped on if I suggest that this is a service the
library can provide, or is service an out word right now.  :-/

Janet Rawdon
Newton MA
rawdon@meol.mass.edu

LM_NET Archive Home