On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Fred Muller Newton wrote:

> With the anniversary of the UN, I checked out my books and the latest was
> from 1974.  Do any of you have any recommendations for books about the UN
> and/or OAS that are recent?

Below is a list of books about the U.N. and UNICEF that I got for our
middle school and highly recommend:

*********From the 40th anniversaries of those organizations:

Parker, Nancy Winslow. The United Nations from A to Z. New York: Dodd,
   Mead, 1985.  ISBN: 0-396-08738-8 (pbk.) $6.95
This is a dictionary-style book, which gives facts about the various U.N.
functions and events from U.N. history, with colorful illustrations.

We the Children. New York: W. W. Norton, 1990. ISBN: 0-393-02912-3 $35
This book includes stunning photography of children from around the
world, with excerpts from great literature that relates to children.

**********For the 50th anniversaries:

Jacobs, William Jay. Search for Peace: the Story of the United Nations.
   New York: Scribner, 1994. ISBN: 0-684-19652-2 $14.95
This history of U.N. peacekeeping activities includes black and white
photos; the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; a timeline of U.N.
events and an extensive bibliography.

Brenner, Barbara. The United Nations 50th Anniversary Book. New York:
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster), 1995. ISBN: 0-689-31912-6 $19.95
This books provides a very wide overview of U.N. activities and is
lavishly illustrated with color photographs and text highlights.  it gives
extensive references to other agencies that work to promote peace, the
environment, children's rights, etc.

Copsey, Susan. Children Just Like Me. London: Dorling Kindersley, 1995.
   ISBN: 0-7894-0201-7 $16.95
Note: The LC CIP gives Copsey as the author; the title pages prominently
features "by Barnabas & Anabel Kindersley."
This book, in the style of the Eyewitness series, features a child from a
certain  country on each page, with color photographs and text about
family, food, recreation, school, clothing, etc. The last page of the
book contains an entry form for the Children Just Like Me Penpal Club.

My Wish for Tomorrow: Words and Pictures from Children around the World.
   New York: Tambourne Books, 1995. ISBN: 0-688-14455-1 $16
Note: On the title page, "A collaboration between Jim Henson Publishing and
the United Nations; Foreword by Nelson R. Mandela; Introduction by
Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Secretary-General of the United Nations."
This book contains wishes for the future and vividly-colored drawings by
young children (up to age 12) from around the world.

************On the subject of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of
the Child, which has been ratified by all but 17 of 185 nations (not by
the U.S.):

A Children's Chorus: Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Declaration
   of the Rights of the Child. New York: Dutton, 1989. ISBN:
This book has an illustration for each of the ten principles, or rights
summaries, drawn by eleven outstanding children's illustrators.

**********Finally, for those whose libraries contain many, many more
books on war than on peace (try "peace" as a subject heading.), there is:

Garrison, Jennifer and Andrew Tubesing. A Million Visions of Peace:
   Wisdom from the Friends of Old Turtle. Duluth, MN: Pfeifer-Hamilton, 1995.
   ISBN: 1-57025-079-0 $12.95
This is another book of children's words and pictures, with some advice
from "Old Turtle, ambassador of peace."

**********I just finished putting up a bulletin board outside my
library.  it has five color photocopies of the covers of new
books (2 about the U.N., 3 about UNICEF, which celebrates its 50th anniv.
in '96).  I used a blow-up of the 50th anniversary logo as the center and
spelled out:

             THANK YOU.
                     N.

in gold letters (on a dark blue background).  Around the edge I put little
paper flags from many countries.

************I am also showing a very moving, 15 min. UNICEF video to my 4th,
5th and 6th grade classes.  It is called REMEMBER ME and should be readily
available from the nearest
UNICEF Committee, or call New York (1-800-252-KIDS).  The U.S. Committee
for UNICEF has put out some excellent materials, including an 8-page
booklet, done with Scholastic that has a parent message and a copy of The
Rights of the Child in Spanish, as well as in English.

:)    Pat Bartoshesky            Saint Edmond's Academy (Gr.4-8, boys only)
:)    <pbarto@udel.edu>          2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
:)     302-475-5370              FAX: 302-475-2256

LM_NET Archive Home