I noticed what you said about some teachers never bringing in their
classes, and Karen's comment that as a result some kids are left out in
the cold.  Jean Donham van Deusen discusses that at length in her article
on flexible scheduling in the current *Emergency Librarian*.  She says
that curriculum integration MUST occur, as well as the planning that
requires, or the information process curriculum is hit-or-miss.  Then she
askes:
                Would we allow math to be hit-or-miss?
                Probably not.  Then, how can we, in good
                conscience, settle for the information
                curriculum to be hit-or-miss?

That really makes you think about what other teachers and administrators
think of what we do.  Obviously, it is often something that is nice if
you have time, but not essential.  We might have some success, but until
that perception is changed and teachers and administrators know that the
information curriculum is essential to student achievement, and that the
way it is delivered is also crucial, then we won't be considered an
integral part of the curriculum.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home