We don't even buy the Gale stuff any more.  We look for alternatives.
Then I purchased the Gale Literary Index (CD).  Our public libraries have
most of the 32 titles listed on it.  The software allows you to write
locations to it.  I have listed which of our public library branches has
each title.  Then kids can go there for the literary criticisim they
need.  I may be the only one to say this, but I think money can be better
spent than on the Gale material.  The literary criticism is too difficult
for many (probably most) high school students.  I don't know what is so
sacred about it.  Maybe there has been nothing else.  It is appropriate
for really outstanding students - AP, honors, etc. - but with limited
funds it is important to provide materials that most students can use.
In a world of unlimited budgets, I would provide it all.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home