I received close to 50 responses to my questions about where the
library fileserver should be located.  The compiled list of responses
is many pages long, so I will simply summarize here.

Approximately one third of the responses advised me to keep the
fileserver in the library office.  The reasoning was to maintain
control, be sure it was close if I need it, and to keep others away
from it.

The other two thirds said to go ahead and lock it up in the closet
downstairs.  Several stated that they have theirs in their office but
wish they didn't because they never have to use it directly and it
takes up space.  I was surprised at the number who told me that they
never do anything at the server except turn the system on in the fall
and off in the spring.  These were folks who use Dynix and have
Novell-based LAN's.  I therefore asked our network engineers if I
would have the same capabilities with Windows NT (to do all
operations from my workstation).  The answer I received was yes -
Windows NT is a newer operating system that is similar enough to
Novell that I could expect to have this same type of functionality.
(So much for my non-technical explanation ...)

The other catch is that the cd-rom tower is also planned to be in the
locked closet downstairs.  There is some ambiguity about who will be
responsible for the cd-rom tower and the network server.  I won't
relay the whole story, but I have just about decided to leave my
library fileserver in the closet downstairs for the following
reasons:
1) I probably won't need to use it often - certainly not as often as
I would want access to the cd tower.
2)  I do want to retain some involvement at least with the decisions
about which cd's are obtained and used at given times.
3)  I do want a key to that closet - having both pieces of equipment
there will better justify this.  (You wouldn't believe how our
administration is with keys....)
4)  I am not convinced that the library office is as secure as it
should be from random "fiddlers" who may not mean any harm, but what
does that button over there do?..........
5) Bottom line, I would rather get saddled with extra "backing up"
type duties for the network than to have someone else do it wrong.
Now, I don't mean that quite the way it sounds, but non-professionals
have been known to be given responsibilities beyond their actual
capabilities, and some of the rumors I've heard about who will fill
the computer coordinator (stipended) position since the last one
retired are a bit scary.  I would rather keep "sticking my nose in"
to help when I can than to retreat to my office and be left out of
the picture.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and advice.  The main advice
that I would pass along to those who asked for a hit is to find a way
to really talk with your network engineers to find out the specifics
of how your system will work.  There are so many little differences
(from their perspective) that can end up making a big difference to
you!

Also, if anyone is using Dynix and Window NT, I'd love to hear from
you!

Thanks again to everyone!!!
Beth McCheyne
K-6 Librarian