On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Peter Milbury wrote:

>    There is a big difference between a prepared political tract on an
> issue and a personal statement of feelings. I think this issue might be
> better addressed in an honest discussion of the implications, not through
> a duel of press releases.

Well, LM_Netters, what are the implications?  In my reading of summaries
and news articles about this bill, it contains a provision for steep
fines for anyone who transmits "indecent" material over the Internet.
Having been involved with a three plus year battle over the "pornography"
in our libraries and reading curriculum, I'm wondering who is going to
define "indecent?"

If the same person who defines this literature as pornographic sets the
standards for indecency and these standards move over to the print
format, then I suspect 99% of us would be eligble for fines and/or
arrest.  Think about it ---

LM_NET Archive Home