At 12:40 AM 7/17/96 +0000, you wrote:
>For almost a decade I have been a MAC user.  I am sitting here with two LCs
>upgraded to 10 mg each.

Sharon,
From what I have seen, most respondents to your question do not state which
versions of Windows they are referring to.  This is Important.

Windows 95 is a big, big, big improvement over the previous versions. It is
not perfect, however.  Neither is System 7.5.

The Mac is still a better graphics machine, period.

The PC will give you more bang for your buck.

Also: the PC market is customized, ie, there are "family" machines and
"business" machines. Usually the stuff in department stores is slanted to
the family market. You get better hardware for the same price with a
business machine, but you don't get cute family software, lots of "free"
games, etc. Software bundles are not really free; you pay for them in
reduced hardware specs, such as the type of memory and whether there is an
L2 cache, size of hard drive, clock speed, etc. Just about any business
machine will at least come with a good office suite, such as Lotus or
Microsoft.

The people who recommend Gateway 2000 are giving good advice.  Also do look
at Dell. Do Not, DO NOT, spend your money on a Packard Bell: they are
inferior machine whose specs may fool you, pass them up! For "family" type
machines, the IBM Aptivas are currently a good deal, but again, the hardware
in these is not as nice as what you will get in a business type machine for
the same money.  I know, I bought an Aptiva. Good machine, but if I had it
to do over again, I'd seriously look at Gateway and Dell.

Best of luck to you!

Matthew Beall
Graduate Student, Catholic University School of Library and Information Science
mat.beall@worldnet.att.net

LM_NET Archive Home